Sunday, May 19, 2013

Technobiography

Technology has been readily available and useful throughout my life.  My father was an engineer and always enjoyed bringing the latest technology into the home.  I have been using a computer from a very young age and have been comfortable learning how to use new technologies.  I have used blogs and wikispaces professionally and personally.  I think that they provide a great way to communicate with students and parents.  The internet has also become an amazing place to share lesson plans, teaching strategies and ideas with other teachers.  While I was abroad for two years, I was amazed at how far technology had traveled, even in the third world, with cell phones and laptops expanding access in ways I had not imagined possible.  I cannot imagine my day to day life without access to the internet and computers for both lesson planning and school, as well as entertainment.

In the classroom with my students, I see how much technology is such an integral and important part of their lives.  They all have grown up with smartphones, tablets and wireless internet.  All our classrooms have three students laptops and interactive whiteboards.  However, I do feel that our staff is still in the process of learning to use these tools most effectively in the classroom.  Also, despite their awareness of all the technology around them, many of my students lack access to it in their homes.  Few students have computers, and not all those who do have regular internet access at home.  That complicates my efforts to encourage students to learn through technology.  I have found technology to be a good motivator for students who struggle to focus in class.  Many of my students would much rather read and answer questions on Tickettoread.com than read a hard copy book in class.  I think that technology has a very important role to place in classrooms moving forward.    

No comments:

Post a Comment